Tuesday, November 21, 2006

new photos!!!

This is a typical country kitchen. The women cook over fires, because propane stoves are too expensive. This lady was cooking a giant stew for a festival for the patron saint of the region. On that day, all of her neighbors from the countryside would stop by her home with their bowl and spoon, and she would feed them. It's tradition to sing a song asking for food, and people go from house to house all day! There were two other giant pots of stew as well! We ate some and it was good but we got stomach aches. (Typical reaction!)
This is me with my friends Susan, Jackie and Meghan. Susan's host brother made the costumes for us! They are typical Nicaraguan fiesta dresses.
My host mom and dad, Christina and Guillermo, after they voted on Nov. 5. They stain their thumbs so they can't vote twice. The ink takes days to come off!
Here I am with my puppy! Clavito. (It's Nicaraguan slang for naughty!) We love him.
This is Mason with the director of one of his schools. We have to ride bikes to some of our schools. This photo was taken about 2 kilometers outside of Malpaisillo. The volcano chain is behind them. You can see Momotombo way back there. Peanuts are growing in the field.
Here I am with my wonderful host family. Don Guillermo, Cristian, Dona Cristina, me and the little cousin Pedrito. Nicaraguans rarely smile in pictures, so they look unhappy, but really they are the happiest, kindest people!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the pictures! After my brother-in-law's stint in Guatemala in the Peace Corps, at family events, we always take pictures with "Guate faces" - putting on our most stoic face.

November 23, 2006 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

give little doggie Calvito a good rub for me

November 24, 2006 11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home